WASHINGTON–U.S. Senator John Boozman (R-AR) released the following statement after voting for the Senate-passed United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).
“Passage of USMCA ensures Arkansas agricultural producers, manufacturers and small businesses have a level playing field to compete in the global market. This deal with our state’s top two trading partners will support economic growth, enhance market access, create jobs and increase economic opportunity. For too long, Arkansans have asked Congress to act on this modernized trade deal. Fortunately, the Senate worked promptly to move this historic agreement through to the finish line. I’m pleased we are able to deliver this economic accomplishment for hardworking Americans,” Boozman said.
Trade with our neighboring countries supports 12 million American jobs including 120,000 in Arkansas. Combined, Mexico and Canada account for one-third of Arkansas’s total exports.
The benefits of USMCA to Arkansas include:
- Increased market access for state products
- Opening the Canadian market to chicken, turkey and eggs produced by Natural State farmers
- Supporting more than 120,000 Arkansas jobs
- Supporting more than $2 billion in exports from Arkansas to Canada and Mexico annually
- Providing stability in an uncertain trade environment
Boozman has been pushing for approval of USMCA. Last month he delivered a floor speech calling for passageof this critical trade agreement. As part of his annual Ag Tour, Boozman promoted the benefits of this agreement with Arkansas farmers and ranchers.
Go to Source